Monday, April 25, 2005

A Fresh Start

Sunday

Thank you for joining me as I begin this new blogging adventure. The second phase of my Bloomington Life. Why a new blog? Because I want only my very dearest friends from my old life or complete strangers to be able to read it. The old address had "gotten out" in these here parts and I decided that I could not be as candid as I would like as a result. So, here we go.

The second phase of my life in Bloomington is the topic here. Well, actually, I am the topic here. Self-centered? You bet. This little blog is the place where it gets to be all about me, what I think, what I do, what I think about what I do...you get the picture. Of course, I will write about other things and people, but only from MY perspective. Well, there we are.

We are in Day 30 of "the confinement". The progress, if you can even call it that, is slow, slow slow! Last night, we went out for the first time for a "date". It was really great to get out and act like things were normal. Except that Chris can't drink OR drive. So, I had to step up and do both. We had dinner at Tallent, my favorite restaurant here. It has WONDERFUL food and good wine. It makes me feel sort of like I am back in Fairfield County, which, I have to admit I have missed lately. We went to see Arcadia and I LOVED the play. The group that performed it did a pretty good job but not a great job. It made me wish I had seen it in New York when it was on Broadway.

Monday

This afternoon, Jack and I went to the library. On the way out, he was trying to get into my purse and saying over and over that there was something in there he wanted to "see". When we got to the car, to shut him up, I went through my purse and realized that the object of his desire was an OB tampon. For those of you not familiar with such, an OB tampon is an approximately two inch long by 1/2 inch diameter cylindrical shaped white object, wrapped in cello. One end is rounded, the other flat. There are ridges going up the sides. Jack was fascinated because he had never seen one before. He HAD to have it. So, I figured, what's the harm? It will keep him occupied for the ride home. So, I gave it to him. He asked what it was. I told him it was a special kind of cotton swab you kept in your purse in case you got a boo-boo. He unwrapped it and felt it and said, "It feels so soft, Mommy. I love the way it feels." Great. Then he unravelled the string that attatches to the bottom and decided that it would make a great bracelet. He begged me to get more at the store. He dangled it around and I was mortified that someone might pull up next to us and wonder what kind of mother gives her son a %$#!-ing tampon to play with. When we got to the butcher shop, our next stop, he bounded out of the car with his tampon bracelet proudly displayed on his wrist. I suggested to him that he might want to leave said unusual piece of jewelry in the car because it would be so sad if he lost it in the store. He agreed and then asked me at least three times if I had locked the car. He explained that he was "a little concerned that someone might steal his bracelet." If we were in Fairfield County, therapy might be called for. But, luckily for us, we are in the Hoosier State where this can be cured with a little big of rough housing. Just kidding. Fortunately, when we arrived at home, the tampon bracelet was but a distant memory. It makes me think of my friend Tammy Jo. Tammy Jo was at the Monroe County Fair last summer with her two kids in tow. Her younger, Joey, was in the carriage and was about two years old - maybe a little younger. It was a double carriage but since her older daughter was walking, Tammy had her purse in the empty seat. Tammy was wheeling Joey and her purse around and greeting folks she knew as she passed them. A friend leaned down to admire baby Joey and then looked perplexed. "Tammy, what is he chewing on?", she asked. Tammy looked at Joey and was mortified to see that he had gotten into her purse and was happily chewing on a tampon. Nice.

1 comment:

Anne said...

Thanks for including me in your new blog! and I loooove the tampon story! I have to unwrap those little things so carefully so Alex does not hear it....as he informs me he is a "fruit snack eater" and is convinced I am sneaking them in the bathroom and eating them without him! Ha, ha, ha!!!!

as always...miss you!!