Monday, September 26, 2005

Jack is Five! I'm in Love Again!


five
Originally uploaded by Bloomington Girl.
Today is Jack's fifth birthday. This the first birthday that has completely excited him. I guess being five is a big deal. It seems like yesterday that he was born and it seems like a million years ago. Time is a strange agent, isn't it? For Jack, five must seem like a long time. A whole lifetime, actually. For only five, he is self styled expert on most topics. Even if he can't do something himself, he won't hesitate to tell someone else how to do it. Can't imagine where he gets that from.

I tuned 43 last week. My birthday was a wonderful day for no specific reason. I just decided to enjoy a day off from hassling myself and feeling stressed out. It worked great and now I am considering implementing the concept full time. Life is short. Why not enjoy it? I am finally getting over the belief that someone is watching and grading me for everything I do.

I have to say that over the past few weeks, there has been a real shift in my Bloomington life. Remember when I compared the move to Bloomington to a love relationship? At that point, I was in the post-infatuation stage, where it could go either way. Well, I am happy to say that it seems to be going the Bloomington way. I have fallen in love with this place all over again. It is an incredible place to live and the livin' is so incredibly easy here. If we were to leave, I would miss so many things about this town. The highly accessable amenities, the relaxed pace, the IU outdoor pool, IU basketball, opera, music, plays, the town's endless supply of cultural offerings. And more and more, I feel connected on a human level with lots of different kinds of people. My friendships are deepening and I am starting to feel that I might have a place here. Wow. I don't mind that there is no upscale shopping here. In fact, this aspect of the place has become one of Bloomington's advantages. The old pressure to keep up fades a little more every day. Ah.

This past weekend we went to the annual Lotus World Music Festival. There are many performers from all over the world, ranging from Afro-Niger-Pop to Soulful Portugese Fado to American Old Time to Virtuoso Ukelele. You get a pass and wander from venue to venue and enjoy as many performances as your time allows. It is a world class event five minutes from our house. The streets downtown have a carnival air to them. The atmosphere is festive and everyone you meet is relaxed and happy.

This year, one of the more notable acts we saw was Badi Assad, a Brazillian woman who Guitar Magazine says is one of the most innovative players in the world. She was amazing in the true sense of the word. First of all, she is a technically gifted player and has a beautiful voice to boot. But, most amazing, and almost comical, is that she can make percussive sounds and simultaneously sing. She even played the mouth harp, sang and made clicking noises all at once and it actually sounded good. Imagine a woman who looks like Sonia Braga and is a musical cross between Maria Muldoor, Ani DiFranco, Bobby McFerrin and Edith Piaf. Unusual and really cool.

Well, that's all for my update blog for now. The Bob Dylan special is on and it is a callin' me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your blog is great… Keep up the great work. If you get time check our Back Packing GOLD Kits site at http://www.thegoldhunter.net/. Millions in Gold is just waiting to be discovered. They are even recovering GOLD from water! Take a look at our Back Packing GOLD Kits site with lots of other options. ENJOY!

Anonymous said...

Hi, I came by actually looking for a specific blog... but got yours instead. However, after
looking around a bit, I see that it is well worth bookmarking for more visits later.

signs of a cheating spouse.