Wednesday, November 16, 2005

More Basement Blues



Originally uploaded by Bloomington Girl.
When we got back from our trip, I thought I would post this picture...you know...There's No Place Like Home...There's No Place Like Home.

Yeah, there is No Place Like Home for Tornado sirens and irritating periods in the basement listening to that hand crank radio I bought after 9-11. (Along with all that stupid duct tape and plastic sheeting....yes, I did feel stupid for buying it afterward, thank you for asking.) You don't have to use the crank because it does take batteries but the crank is handy when the batteries die or when you have taken them out for use in one of your kid's stupid toys that came without batteries. But, I digress...

Anyway, yesterday, it was about sixty five degrees and not all that bad weather-wise. It was a little overcast and in typical fashion, I paid no attention whatsoever to the weather or the weather report. My husband called me from work to tell me that there was a tornado watch until ten PM. For those of you not living under these delightful weather threats, a tornado watch means that conditions are right to possibly produce a tornado. A tornado warning means that a tornado has been spotted and you are possibly in its path and you should take cover. Cover means the basement for us. And I think that you are supposed to be under a table or workbench while you are in the basement. Of course, we ignore the last part.

The reason that there was a tornado watch was because this huge cold front was going to move through and push out the warm we had been enjoying. Essentially, the forecast was for tornados followed by instant winter. And that is what happened...

But anyway, yesterday, when I picked Jack up from school, it was just starting to get pretty dark and starting to rain. Mid trip, it started to thunderstorm. By the time we got home, a good storm was going. Shortly after that, the sirens went off. We stayed in the basement for about an hour and had to go back down for another hour in the evening. I do NOT want to add any more living space to this house but it looks like we are going to finish part of the basement, just for tornados. My husband complained more than a few times about the tornado thing yesterday and I lovingly reminded him that it was he who dragged us here in the first place so he might want to keep his complaints to himself.

The wind blew like crazy all night and by this morning the temperature was in the thirties and we had some good snow flurries today. Lovely weather here. Grey, damp and mostly pretty cold winters followed by a beautiful spring - beautiful if it is a mild tornado season which it was NOT last year, followed by a hot as hell, humid as hell summer sprinkled with strike-your-house-knock-down-your-chimney electrical storms, followed by what should be an idyllic fall but isn't because somehow it is still tornado season. Is it me or do I seem a little negative tonight?

Truth-be-told, I am feeling a little down. I don't like to write about such things in my blog because I don't like my readers to worry even the slightest bit about this little HoosierMama. But, honestly, I am feeling a teensy-eensy bit sorry for myself today. It is always hard to return from such a whirlwind trip. Even though I am happy to be back, the trip reminded me of how much comfortable I am in CT and how much I miss my friends there. There, I said it. There is an energy on the East Coast that just isn't here for me. On the other hand, the daily living here is SO easy and the general quality of life is excellent. I do accept that it takes more than a year or two to make really really good friends. I will just have to wait for that.

Okay, enough of this ramble. Blech. I am off to bed to try out my new book, Miss Mapp by someone or other I had never heard of. I will report back.

Still wading through Salt but I always end up breaking up my non-fiction reading with novels.

1 comment:

Perk said...

Speaking of ruby slippers; with the right tornado you just might end up in Oz..."Jack, I don't think we're in Indiana anymore..."