Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Random notes from driving around town

Yesterday I was listening to Nouvelle Vague in my car. The track was a cover of the punk (?) song "Too Tired to Fuck" and I had it sort of loud. I stopped at a light and didn't worry about anyone hearing what I was listening to because I thought that my windows were closed. The singer enunciates FUCK so clearly and says it many times. Well, my windows were NOT closed on the passenger side and there was one of those massive SUVs next to me with a mom-like person in it looking my way, a little agog. I shut my windows immediately. I hope she didn't know who I was. This is a very small town. But, now that I have written that, I guess I can honestly say that I don't care. So, there.

Speaking of music in the car, I was channel surfing on my radio yesterday and heard a country song about this woman who was driving a car and had her kid in the back and too much on her mind. She hit a patch of black ice and threw her hands up and cried "Jesus take the wheel!" Huh. Now, that's a strategy. I don't think I'll try that one, but hey, there is a screw for every nut.

On the same drive, I was behind a pickup truck at a stop light. The driver was smoking a cigarette in a macho kind of way. He had two bumperstickers. One was something expressing that he stood with W. The other had a peace sign on one side of the sticker. On the other side it said, "The footprint of the American Chicken." It was all I could do not to get out of the car and do, well, I don't know what. It was so rediculous but it made me so aggrivated. I just don't what a peace sign has to do with being a chicken. What a stupid way to see the world. Good money says I wouldn't get along with that guy. Even though this town is not like the rest of Indiana, there is still way more of that here than there was in Fairfield County. Case in point, when I was at Harry's barbershop once. Harry and this other guy were going on about Watergate. They didn't understand "why the democrats were so upset about the break in. They had nothing good to hide anyway." I held my tongue. It wasn't my turf and I knew it.

Well, that's all for tonight. I have to get to some serious writing. I have to do a reading on Monday evening at the read-around for my reading group and I need to get going on a piece for it. Any votes on what I should read? Any entries from this blog strike anyone's fancy? Write in and let me know...

2 comments:

Princess said...

I was particularly fond of the post you did on the new trend for plastic surgery on the most intimate parts of our bodies. It just shows how much farther away from natural beauty the world is steering towards. We need to recapture that essence once again so that we appreciate who we are as human beings rather than what science can make us into. :)

Valerie said...

J....sense you asked,why not write a take-off on Lady Chatterly's Lover. Sounds like Bloomington would get off on that, especially the way you would dramatize the reading!...JB