Friday, December 16, 2005

She isn't so special...

Since we are living in the (very) predominantly Christian heartland, I thought that Jack should be aware that Christmas wasn't just about Santa but rather was ostensibly Jesus's birthday. Of course, this required an explanation of who Jesus was. Where to begin? I told him that Jesus was a very special and wise man who lived many years ago and that some people, lots of them actually, believed that Jesus was the son of God and sort of a god himself. Chris and I are more or less Zen Buddhists, so Jack isn't being brought up with the traditional Christian veiw of Jesus.

Anyway, after this discussion, Jack would, from time to time, ask, "Who is that special guy again?"

Once he said, "Mommy, I don't believe that Jesus was the son of God but if you really wanted to know, you would have to ask the mommy. The one who was the mommy with God. She would know." I considered bring good old Mary up but didn't want to get into the whole virgin birth thing with my five year old.

****************************************************

We ran into a friend of mine the other day and I introduced Jack. Afterward, I remarked to Jack that my friend was a very special person.

"She isn't so special, mommy."

"Yes, she is."

"Well, are they going to make a holiday for HER when she dies?" He asked this a little sarcastically as if to prove his point.

***********************************************


In other news, like almost everyone else I know, I have been busy with getting ready for Christmas (yes, we still celebrate it complete with a tree and santa and all the commerical traditions). I am stunned and happy to report that the card is almost completed and the goal is to have it mailed out by the end of the weekend. If you want to be on our list and think that you are not, please email me your address or leave it on comments. Every year it gets harder. And every year, I swear it is the last one. But, I have to admit, that as soon as it goes out, I am thinking about what to do for next year's card.

Well, that is enough for now. Must put Jack to bed. More later and I hope it is witty.

2 comments:

Princess said...

lol Jack is such an intelligent and witty little boy. :) Out of the mouth of babes... they say. :) Good luck with getting your cards completed!! (fingers crossed) ;)

Ocam's Razor said...

I admire how you've handled this. As a Christian Minister who has similar conversations and struggles in conversation with my children, I often wonder similarly. While I do not believe that Jesus was God, I do believe the message of love to be of God and that the message is divine. The Old Testament is full of people who delivered a divine message but were not divine themselves - its the "messenger vs the message" thing.
Christianity and other faiths are "lenses" through which we view our spirituality which encompasess all faiths.