Friday, December 02, 2005

S.S. Minnow


captain
Originally uploaded by Bloomington Girl.
This happy photo was taken some time after we ran up on a sand bar because we didn't understand how to stay in the "channel". We learned pretty quickly after that, you can be sure.

It was a beautiful, if slightly brisk, day today here. We rented a little boat and went out for a three-hour cruise. Jack was fairly well behaved but after about two hours, he was clearly ready to pack it in. I enjoyed it but I prefer a sailboat to a motor boat.

We spent the rest of the day on the beach and checked out the place where we considered staying and perhaps should have stayed on this trip. It is very nice and I think that if we return here, we will stay there.

On our beach walk today I found myself wondering if I might run into my college boyfriend's parents, who have a place just down the beach from where we are staying. I didn't see them which is probably just as well because his mom never liked me much. I don't blame her a bit. I wouldn't like it if Jack brought home someone like me to meet me either. I am sure that in college I appeared to be an unpleasant combination of sort of arrogant and not very polished. Why? Because I was that. Hard to believe that I evolved into such a perfectly poised, humble grown-up.

Not much else to report. I got quite a bit of sun today and I am pooped. We return to Indiana tomorrow and though I am looking forward to sleeping in my own bed, I have to say that I could take a few more days of this. I haven't been this relaxed in quite some time. There is just something about a change of scene that does one good.

Off to bed to start MISS MAPP, a new book I am trying out. I finished PORTRAIT OF A LADY and I loved it more the second time around even than the first. I was sorry to see it end.

No comments: