Monday, March 27, 2006

Lucky Lucky Lucky


IU Jazz Ensemble
Originally uploaded by Bloomington Girl.
This is another "We are so Lucky to Live Here!" blog. I continue to be surprised and delighted at the wealth of culture this town has. This evening, Chris and I went to see the IU Jazz Ensemble do a free concert on campus. The ensemble is conducted by David Baker, a world renowned jazz musician, composer and educator. It is a privilege to be able to see him. The music was terrific, free and five minutes from our house. Can’t beat it.

Another lucky benefit of this town is my writing group. This morning, I did a twenty minute reading for the group, my first reading of that length. It was a wonderful experience. (It may shock you but I do love an audience for my writing.) I am in the process of going over all of my blog entries (from this and my old blog, www.jonimcgary.blogspot.com). I have hundreds of pages of work! My hope is to cull out what is worth rewriting and/or expanding and putting together a compilation of essays for publication. Feel free to cheer me on in the comment section here. When I grow up, I want to do what David Sedaris does - go on book tour and read from my work. Hey, at least I can dream, right?

In other news, well, there is no other news really. Life is good. Full enough and slow enough.

No comments: