Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Yelling Things at Pedestrians


The Yellow Coat
Originally uploaded by Bloomington Girl.
Today on the drive home from picking up Jack at his painting class, I saw a woman walking down the street wearing a bright yellow short trench coat. Without thinking, I put down the window and shouted to her, "I love your yellow coat!!!" She looked at me like I was crazy. I put the window back up and just started to crack up. What was I expecting, yelling something out of my car? I guess I was thinking that if someone was wearing a bright yellow trench coat then they were trendy, fun loving and attention seeking, not unlike your lovely Bloomington Girl. I misjudged her or perhaps I just shocked her. If I had been the subject of a drive-by compliment, I would have lit up with a smile and yelled a heart felt "Thank You!". Not so, the pedestrian today. Ah, well. So much for the drive-by compliment.

The last time I can remember doing a drive by yelling was in Manhattan. I was driving in a posh area of town with my friend Amy in the passenger seat. At the time, I believe that I was driving a sexy Ford Taurus Company Fleet Car. Amy saw Ross and Chandler from Friends walking down the street on my side of the car. She threw her body over mine and stuck her head out the window, risking our lives and limbs so she could yell something (I forget what now) at them. We were both in our thirties, then. How mature.

In other news, I bought a new vacuum cleaner today. Don't envy my glamourous life, loyal readers. The machine wasn't a sleek Miele model or even an Electrolux. It was just a Sears Progressive and it was on sale. It was a snazzy shade of orange however. They didn't have it in stock but I ordered it. Sadly, I can't wait to get it. Truth is, I love to vacuum. There, I said it.

Check out my recipe blog. My good friend Dick has joined it as a contributor. As you will see on his profile, his interests are hunting, fishing, making maple syrup and "The Preservation of the Human Body." At first glance, one might thing that as a chef, perhaps he was canning or freezing the human body for later consumption. Fear not, loyal readers, he is an undertaker...or is the politically sensitive term mortician? I don't know. Anyway, he is known in his local area as the Redneck Martha Stewart. He is, perhaps a national treasure. After all, how many outdoorsmen skilled in hunting and fishing can claim the blue ribbon in a cake making contest? I look forward to his recipe contributions.

Off to bed to read W&P. I am on the last section! Peyton Place is next.

2 comments:

Karen said...

I just discovered your blog -- it's really funny and great! I'm a transplant to Bloomington too and a mom of young kids so I'm finding a lot to chuckle about.

I yelled out my window at a woman running with a double stroller a couple of years ago, "YOU ARE SO HARD CORE!!" and she looked shocked and surprised, nowhere near the YEAH! and thumbs up I expected. And then I did the same thing as you -- rolled up my window and went, Oh my god, why am I yelling things out the window at random people on the street?

Anyway, BG, will be checking back to see what else you have to say. I stumbled here in my search to find something about Mira Hair Salon and your comments were helpful. Thanks.

BloomingtonGirl said...

Karen,
Thanks for stopping by the blog. Glad you enjoyed it. I had a laugh about your yelling experience.