Tuesday, April 04, 2006

And this is what she looks like now...


After
Originally uploaded by Bloomington Girl.
Pictures like this remind me that at some point, EVERYONE has to say Uncle to the aging process. By this I don't mean that you have to let yourself go. I just mean that you have to accept that you no longer look twenty, (or thirty or forty or fifty) anymore. And you do the best with what you have and stop making yourself miserable over it.

Now, it may sound like BloomingtonGirl is getting all lofty in a new agey "accept yourself the way you are" kind of way. That isn't my main point, although it certainly is the goal of someone as enlightened as I pretend to be. My point here is that all the crap you put yourself through to maintain a youthful appearance is ultimately hopeless in the end. It is a losing battle. I suppose we all know this but we sure act as if it isn't true.

I go to the Y several times a week and see lots of older and just plain old women naked in the locker room there. This has been very instructive. Many of these women are pretty fit for their age - there is even a 91 year-old who swims a mile a day. But not one of these women - even those in their middle sixties who are slender and fit - has a young looking body. Wrinkles, saggy skin, age spots, cellulite...par for the course. Ain't nothin' you can do about it...whoa, whoa, whoa...set me free, why don't ya babe? (Sorry, got carried away there.)

Now, you might argue that you can have some work done on your face, right? That certainly makes women look younger when done right. But, at some point, face lifts just start looking weird. Take Joan Rivers for instance? And poor Jessica Lange (where did she have surgery? at a discount surgery center? God Awful!). So, you have to ask yourself, at what point are you going to give it up? Do we think that it will be easier at 50, 60 or 70? Do we think that at some point in the future we are going to wake up and decide to age gracefully after years of struggling against it? Why not make that time right now and use that energy to do something else other than get sucked into the marketing that promises us eternal youth?

I am going to give it a try. As my loyal readers know, it won't last. But, for something new to do, I will try it.

1 comment:

Valerie said...

Joni:

We have the Ponce de Leon Fountain of Youth here in St. Augustine. You should give it a try..........a great excuse to come see me!!!!