Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Fat and Ambivalent

Chris and I went out to dinner tonight. Great company but disappointing food. Sadly, the poor food quality didn't stop this glutton from eating too much of the stuff and that was after a day of eating snacks as if I were going to the chair tomorrow.

Why is your otherwise self-controlled, healthy, athletic BloomingtonGirl on a stress eating binge? Because I think that we really ARE going to put our McMansion on the market and rent a house while we see if we can buy or build something that suits us more. I think it is the right thing to do but, waaaahhhh, I just want to be settled. I will keep my readers posted, of course. So, stay tuned.

After dinner, we went to Barnes & Noble to browse. While there, I saw that ANNA KARENINA, my dear dear Anna, is now a selection for Oprah's Book Club. I don't know how I feel about that. On one hand, I think that it is arguably the finest novel ever written and it is a great read to boot, so it is a good think that it will be more widely read now. On the other hand, I can't help but roll my eyes at the person who thinks that Oprah has discovered this book and so now will read it and rave about it as if it were a brand new thing. In addition, if everyone starts reading ANNA, I can no longer feel smug that I have read it and they have not. And, we all know how BloomingtonGirl hates to have her smugness undermined. I am going to have to give this more thought before I form a firm position. In any event, it will be interesting to see what the Oprah seal of approval does for ANNA sales...

By the way, I am not an Oprah fan...I think that she has not used her celebrity as productively as she might in the world, but that is a tale for another time.

Well, it's late. I am going to roll my jiggly fat Hoosier body into bed and read ANNA. The copy of ANNA that I bought YEARS before Oprah had ever even heard of it, so there.

No comments: