Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Smoky in Sedona

Greetings from Sedona, AZ, loyal readers, where I have fortunately avoided smoke inhalation. A sane person might wonder what the hell we are doing vacationing a few miles from an out of control wild-fire. I suppose that we like adventure. More honestly, I didn't bother to check the weather or threats of fires before I booked the vacation. Chris isn't going to let me plan our next trip, believe-you-me.

Actually, the trip has been pretty good for the most part. We are staying at the Enchantment, a fancy-schmancy resort in Boynton Canyon about eight miles from Sedona. I would love to be able to say that it offends my humble and simple sensibilities to have to stay at such a posh place. But, it would, as we all know, be a big fat lie. First of all, my sensibilities are neither humble nor simple and second of all, I am not at all offended to surrender to the embrace of luxury. There, I said it. If it makes me shallow, so be it. I love being niced to death and having all my whims and needs met. I love the perfectly comfortable beds and pillows and nice bathrobes in the room. I love the spa's healthy food restaurant and their tony workout studio. (I do however draw the line at the spa's treatments. Their price list is so over the top that I can't justify even one small treatment. There is some kind of scalp oil massage for over two hundred dollars. For that, I can buy a bottle of baby oil and rub my own head.) There is a day camp which Jack LOVES and so Chris and I get to hike and relax and work out during the day by ourselves. And, it isn't at all stuffy. It is paradise if you ask me. Having said all this, it does get pretty hot mid-day and there has been a smoky smell in the air from time to time. But, you can't have everything in life.

In other news, I don't know if the local paper published my piece on obesity because I haven't been in town. I haven't gotten any hate phone messages, so I would suppose that they didn't publish it. I didn't think it was offensive or mean but I have had some comments from my loyal readers that have caused me to think again. More on that train of thought when I return to the heartland.

Well, that's all for now. Thanks for tuning in.

No comments: