Wednesday, August 09, 2006

The Castle, Some Homemade Community Building & Still Petty, In case you were worried


The Castle
Originally uploaded by Bloomington Girl.
Jack built a castle today on our coffee table. Who needs toys, eh?

In other news, I went to the midweek farmers market where certain of my favorite farmers now call me by name. How do they know me you ask? It is because I did a tiny little something to build community.

I wanted to show my appreciation for my favorite farmers at the market. Not only for their produce but for how friendly and happy they are. There are several with whom I always have a little conversation and it just makes my weekend so pleasant. Anyway, I baked a bunch of my famous HoosierMama brownies and packaged them up in a beautiful way. I gave them out last Saturday morning and you know what? The recipients were really happy about it and it gave us all a chance to learn each others' names. It is a small thing, indeed, but if more people did this kind of stuff randomly, we all would have a bit more community in our lives. It is a nice thing.

I know I have raved and raved about the market but it is such a joy I can't keep it to myself. There have been many meals on our table this summer that consist completely of locally grown food. It is delicious and for some reason, really festive for me. If we were to ever leave Bloomington, the market would be one of the things I would miss most.

I know that some of my readers might be thinking that I am becoming some sort of Amishy Hoosier with only nice thoughts in her midwestern brain, what with my recent letter to the editor and my homespun community building activity. I want to reassure you all that I am the same old BloomingtonGirl - nay, East Coast Girl- I always was.

I offer in the spirit of proof that I had an extra dry martini tonight and indulged in saying snide things about some perfectly nice people who happen to be, through no fault of their own, just plain stupid. And, to reassure my readership that I have the same old petty and catty interests, I report the following. This morning when I was reading the NY Times, I saw the pictures of Ned Lamont going to the polIs in CT. My interest was not in the actual race (Shame on you Joe Lieberman and where is your party loyalty? Running as an Independent? What a load of crap) rather my interest was in the hairdo (or lack thereof) being sported by Lamont's, Annie. Since Annie works out at my old gym (or used to anyway) I phoned my former trainer there and left her a message to please encourage Mrs. Lamont to get a hairdresser or stop being photgraphed in the Times.

Also, I have to add here that I am sick to death of the press referring to Ned Lamont as "Greenwich Millionaire Ned Lamont". I think that the press characterization of him in that way is a pointed effort to get the "common" people to think a certain way about him. Surely it must be possible to describe Lamont in another manner. Let's face it. Anyone running for office in this country is either a millionaire OR is beholden to someone else for their millions. Frankly, I would rather have someone who has their own money and therefore might be a little more free to vote their own views then someone who does not. Having said that, I don't know anything about Lamont other than that he beat Lieberman and that is wife has bad hair. I do think that Lieberman needs to get out of the race for the sake of the Dems. If he doesn't he is a selfish man. But, I digress.

Oh! Look at the time! Off to bed.

No comments: