Thursday, October 26, 2006

Mea Culpa



Originally uploaded by Bloomington Girl.
Loyal readers, I feel I must post an open apology about the book, LETTER TO A CHRISTIAN NATION by Sam Harris that I wrote about on this blog and that I mailed to some friends. As you can see from comments I received ( Comments ) the topic sparked some interesting conversation. That is really what I had intended. I genuinely was interested in hearing what people really thought of the book. I selected a group of people whose opinions I respect, some of faith, others not so much, to send the book to. I didn't send the book to some people whose opinions I also respect because I was certain that the book would be offensive to them, and again, that wasn't my intent. But, even so, I think that there are some who are offended or have taken my mailing in a spirit other than what I intended. And I want to say that I am really sorry that my judgement was clouded by my enthusiasm.

I hope that those offended will accept my apology.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

As an occasional spiritual adviser, I'm sure your friends will accept your thoughtful and heartfelt apology and offer their forgiveness. Who can withstand the infectious enthusiasm of BloomingtonGirl?

Anonymous said...

Interesting that you chose a Catholic confessional booth for your picture. I think the Roman Catholic faith is calling to you dear...

Perk said...

No apologies coming from this recipient of Letter To A Christian Nation. I don't agree with certain aspects of Harris' analyses but my faith has not been offended. If one is secure in their belief how can they be offended?
I will be passing the book on to other people of faith to see what their response is. I would like to send it to a dear family friend who's also a Franciscan nun. Will she be offended? Absolutely not.

If anything Harris' little tome is a worthwhile opportunity to examine one's faith and the reasons for it.

Perk said...

Whoops! I meant to say, "No apology is necessary for this recipient..."