Saturday, December 23, 2006

Oy

A very brief post. I go to bed happy tonight in spite of life's little difficulties. First, Betsy - our sixteen month old granddaughter (I know, I know...I am such a young and young looking grandmother) had the stomach flu during her brief and ill fated visit here today. She vomited most of the night and then had the other thing (my maiden delicacy prevents me from actually using the word diarrhea outside of parentheses) all over my kitchen floor. Tiring for the laundress and house keeper (me, that is) but worse for the poor little peanut and her parents, who, had they had their way, would have just relaxed and enjoyed their holiday as they deserved to do. Betsy was so miserable that she kept bringing her mom their coats and shoes and looking imploringly at her as if to say, "Let's get the hell out of this awful place, Mommy." It was sad. The poor thing associates being sick or injured with our house. The second to last time that she was here, she fell down the stairs. After the unfortunate fall, Jack (an eyewitness) reported that Besty didn't fall on her head..."she rolled," he said, " you know, frontbackfrontbackfrontback." Comforting.

The rest of the day was relaxing. Kate and I helped Jack do some Legos and then we went shopping and indulged ourselves utterly in buying some new clothes. It was fun. Having Kate home is like having a fun girlfriend visit.

And now, at 10:45 at night, my husband is trying in earnest to get to sleep because he has to get up at 6AM tomorrow to go to work (!), and he cannot sleep because the next door neighbor's dog is barking like crazy. Said neighbor is out of town and the other neighbor who is supposed to be watching the dog is not home to let her in. It is unpleasant and annoying, even though we do love our neighbors.

In other news, I am tired and have not yet mailed out the xmas cards. But, take heart, loyal readers...I read it aloud to my humor judge in CT and she laughed out loud several times. I hope you all enjoy it when you get it.

Off to lie in bed and listen to Bea the Barkin' Dog do her thing while I try to read Clarissa.

No comments: