Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Cooking, Friendship and Clarissa

I have been obsessed with cooking lately and it has been a joy. Yesterday, I made a chickpea and spinach curry that was quite nice. This morning, I put together a "torta di risotto" that really rocked. For your cooking and eating delight, I've included the recipe on the recipe blog I share with my wonderful childhood friend, Dick, A.K.A. The Redneck Martha Stewart. (Torta di Risotto Recipe) The torta is great because not only is it delicious, it can be made ahead (even two days!!!). I LOVE that in a recipe. Make it...you won't regret it.

In other news, I have been thinking about friendship lately, having recently heard a story of two-facedness and betrayal. What is a friend? What is loyalty? How far should one take it? What is reasonable to expect from a friend? ( I have no answers to these questions, loyal readers. After all, I am mere BloomingtonGirl, not Oprah or Dr. Phil.)

My parents sometimes said that if you could count your real friends on one hand, you were lucky. Well, I feel very lucky in the friend department, having long time friends I can trust and with whom I have a deep history and connection. I would be remiss if I did not mention new friends, too. A bonus of moving in mid-life to a completely foreign place is the making of new friends and over time, having those friendships deepen. And what is also cool is that while you are learning about a new friend and his/her experiences, you are reflected back (by that friend) to yourself in a new way, so you learn something new about yourself in the process. I hope that makes sense. It is a good thing, as my girl Martha would say. (Hey, anyone who can go to prison and come out on top as she did gets my vote.)

Now, Clarissa. What a compelling novel! What I love about this (and other novels written long ago) is how timeless human behaviour is. That there is nothing new under the sun rings more and more true to me, the older I get. In this right now culture of new, new, new we all think that our experiences are just that....new, new, new. We are fooled, I think. Clarissa is such a tragic tale that I dread to read on for what I fear will happen to this poor woman...and at the same time, I can't wait to see what does.

Off to wash my face and try out my new face mask that promises to firm up aging skin (!) and to bed to read my book. I know that the book will be satisfying...I'll let you know about the facial mask.

2 comments:

Princess said...

I couldn't post on your blog yesterday for some reason to let you know, I'm a SockDreams fan myself. As for friends, well I can definitely count them on one hand. I'm not sure that makes me lucky though. There are very few people in my life who I can truly be myself with. I guess for me, that's one of the things I expect from a friend.

Emmie said...

Well trust, love and affection are like the foundation of the sweetest relationship on earth...thats friendship.... a friend is like with whom u feel yourself at the top of the world..... to share more views , u can sometimes check out My Friendship Blog and have a glimpse of what u may find interesting...!!!