Monday, February 12, 2007

BloomingtonGirl Has a New Hobby

Greetings Loyal Readers. I write to you from no place other than Jack's bathroom where he is luxuriating in the tub. Lucky little guy.

I am stealing a few moments here to write a bit to you about my new hobby, among other things.

My new hobby appears to be leaving my purse behind. In the past three weeks, I have left it behind four times. The first was at Jack's piano lesson. I didn't notice it was gone until the teacher called many hours later. The next time was in the locker room of the Y. I left it hanging on the open door of my locker and started to head out of the building. I did remember it before I got all the way outside, fortunately. The third time was at my "job" interview for an editor position at a local magazine. I left it on the back of my chair and was notified by email when I arrive home that I was missing something. The fourth time was today when I left the purse at home and realized it only after the cart full of groceries I had purchased had been bagged and totalled up. Oops. I had to leave without the groceries, go home, get my wallet and return to pay. Where is my head? If you have any idea, Loyal Readers, please advise me. Obviously, I need some help in this area.

In other news, I did indeed get what some might loosely call a job offer from the aforementioned magazine and I initially expressed interest in taking the position. I met with the owner/founder guy on Friday afternoon to discuss what needs to be done for the March issue. While I admit that I find some of the aspects of working for the magazine interesting, I decided over the weekend to not do it after all. I realized that whatever time I commit to spend outside of my family is time that gets taken away from them or me. And, the plain fact is that I don't want to have time taken away from either. Plus, the job wouldn't pay enough to cover the cost of a cleaning lady, which is my bottom line is for working at all. The way I look at it, if I can do something I love (like writing) and cover the costs of someone doing some of the stuff I am going to have to do anyway - like cleaning - I am in great shape even if I am just breaking even. But, if I can't, it isn't worth taking a job unless there is a compelling creative or financial reason. And in this case, neither was obvious to me. I suppose I could write for the magazine from time to time - that interests me because I need to get some pieces published - but editorial work isn't the right thing for me.

In other trivial news, I had an Oreo Cookie today for the first time in many many moons and I am here to tell you that they just are not as good as they used to be. Now, I don't think it is because my taste buds have evolved beyond Oreo love. Au contraire! I think that Oreos are indeed one of the greatest culinary delights of all time. Well, the Oreos I remember anyway. (Now, my husband just walked in and asked me what I was writing about (he has to ask because he never reads my blog!) and when I told him, he gave me some metaphysical crap explanation about how the Joni who tried these Oreos today might only share 2% of the molecules with the Joni who tried the Oreos last, but I silenced him quickly. Clearly he has been reading too much Dawkins and further, such an observation has no place in the world of BloomingtonGirl, who strives to keep things simple. Or more to the point, simply the opinion of BloomingtonGirl. But, I digress.)

Back to the Oreo issue. What I think is happening is that Oreos continue to get reformulated with a view toward cost reduction (common practice in the food industry) and instead of using the original formulation as the benchmark, they use the most recent formulation. While there might not be discernable differences between the proposed new formulation and the current marketed one, there will likely be a world of difference between the proposed and the original formulation if the original is an old one, as it is in the case of Oreo. Do you follow? In this particular case, I believe that the cocoa taste isn't as deep and edgy as it used to be.

I did teach Jack the Chuck Vietrogoski trick of dunking though. You take a whole Oreo and put it onto a fork via the creme filling as shown in the photo below.
Then, you dunk the whole cookie into a glass of milk, leaving it for whatever time you desire. When you remove the dunked cookie from your milk, you simply pop it into your happy mouth. Though, your mouth won' t be so happy with the new formulation if it is anything like my mouth.

Many of my Loyal Readers may know that my first job out of college was working at the General Foods Plant in Dover Delaware. One of the major products being made there was chocolate (and cocoa). I worked in the industrial division which meant that I worked in the division that sold truckload quantities of ingredients to other large food manufacturers. More specifically, I worked in the Baker's Chocolate and Coconut Industrial division. I remember that one of the holy grails was to identify a cocoa formulation that would match the one that Nabisco purchased from one of our competitors so that we could get some of that business. We never got close. But, in my four years at Bakers, I did learn how to shell a coconut while leaving the nutmeat intact (great cocktail party trick) and I ate enough chocolate to have to go to Weight Watchers toward the end of my tenure. (Most people in the division had a ten pound bar of chocolate in one of their desk drawers for snacking. I had no chance!)

Anyway, I am off to hang out with the finest man I know. Every day I am I grateful to be married to my husband. Lucky, lucky me!

1 comment:

Perk said...

Another victim of reformulation, or so it tastes to me; Heath Bars. One of my all-time favorite confections which now tastes more like something with peanuts than buttery english toffee. Skor Bars are still pretty good.

It could be my molecular shift is to blame. I should read Dawkins. Molecular shifting could be a handy reason to explain various insufficiencies in my daily life...