Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Hello

I was going to write a piece on the latest cover story in Business Week. It is about the wellness initiative that the Scotts Miracle Gro company has undertaken. It is a compelling article and I do intend to write about the topic, but alas, I am just too tired to do it here tonight. But I include a link to the article for your convenience, should you be inclined to read it:

Get Healthy or Else


I have been thinking of writing an essay on a similar topic for submission to the Newsweek My Turn column. The subject of that yet to be written is one near and dear to my heart - medical self-referral. It will be my first shot in a long time - maybe since college, egad!- at an essay that requires some actual research to make its point. I will keep you posted on my progress.

In other news, we watched Rome tonight on HBO. I love that series.

And, in other other news, I am going to settle down with Clarissa now. I only two entries in the contest to predict the page of her ruination and I am sad to say that both were wrong. She lost her virtue - quite unwillingly and possibly drugged - on page 883. Lovelace (the villain) writes to his friend Belford only this:

And now, Belford, I can go no farther. The affair is over. Clarissa lives. And I am

Your humble servant,
R. Lovelace

The author then includes a note which advices the reader that, "The whole of this black transaction is given by the injured lady to Miss Howe (Clarissa's friend to whom she writes) in her subsequent letters....to which the reader is referred."

I have not skipped ahead to those letters, preferring to let the story unfold to me as I read it. It is, I think, one of the best books I have ever read and I believe I will be quite sorry when I am finished with it.

The good news is that I have over five hundred more pages to read.

And, I am off to read them, Loyal Readers.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You mean it has footnotes too??

Perk said...

So which one of us came "closest" to the fated page? There is a winner to this contest...

BloomingtonGirl said...

Anonymous...yes, there are footnotes and many endnotes. Hard to believe that your BloomingtonGirl is reading such a work as this, I know.

Perk,
You did indeed come closest to the fated page. I will be mailing your Lucky Guy Bakery Winner's Package to you in the next day or so.

Perk said...

Yay! I'm a winner, a winner, winner winner! :-)

Anonymous said...

Well, hell,if I'd really thought I'd get some of your delicious baked goodies out of it I would have just guessed at her deflowering! And I know I would have guessed at, say, page 877, yes, I'm sure that's the page number I would have chosen!!

BTW, I love the latest photo effect that you used with you & Jack - very cool, what was that? Divine hat...

.e

BloomingtonGirl said...

.e,
The contest offer explicitly stated the the winner would win a package of treats. You couldah been a contendah, dahlink.

The effect on the picture is called (I think) colored pencil. It hides all number of aging flaws, thus my new love for it.

Thanks for checking in, .e