Friday, February 02, 2007

Love Me...Love My Hat

Loyal readers, this is a (stunning if I may say so) photo of your BloomingtonGirl in her favorite hat. I know that you might be mortified to learn that I have been wearing it just about everywhere lately. It isn't, as you might suspect, for the fashion statement that I don this fine chapeau. No, no. It is for the cozy warm feeling it gives my head. As you know, I don't have all that much hair on my noggin and it has been pretty darn chilly here lately. This hat warms me up and just plain makes my head happy. What more can a girl want?

I can't remember whether I announced my only New Year's Resolution here but if not, here it is: I resolve to be shallow in 2007. So, wearing a hat and thinking about how it looks and feels is right up the shallow alley. Other topics of shallow importance include: 1. Should I get laser anti aging treatments? 2. What outfits make my stomach look the flattest? 3. Is it worth the extra money to buy the face cream that the facial lady recommends or will I get the same results using Oil of Olay products? You get the idea.

In other shallow news, I wore a fabulous new pair of tights tonight when I went out to dinner with a fun pal. The tights were a fish-net-ey/sheer stocking-ey combination and were just lovely. I wore them with a black satin A-line skirt, a black merino wool fitted turtleneck sweater and my olive green (almost) patent leather wedge heel boots. To finish the outfit, I sported a new chartreuse glass wide bracelet and some hand-made red bird shaped earrings. And, the topper was my mother's vintage Persian Lamb jacket with a fur collar from (Herkimerites will know this place) Mungers. I may be shallow but I know how to put together a look.

We were supposed to go to the Opera but we lingered too long over our delicious dinner and delightful wines. We ended up skipping the performance and going home early. This was fine with your tired BloomingtonGirl as I am now in bed, resting and writing to my loyal readers.

And now, it is time to read more of the tragic Clarissa. I took some time out from my busy day today to read it and I cannot stand the angst of it all. It is remarkable to me that something written over 250 years ago can read so current. The human condition is the same as it ever was.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you read I Feel Bad About My Neck yet? It's a book by Nora Ephron and it'll help you along your path of shallowness. I think she laughs all the way to the bank in her shallow trough....

Dick said...

Fish-net-ey/sheer stocking-ey combination. Hmmmmmm? With or with out the hat?

Perk said...

I checked in here because I KNEW that unless he was on a prolonged hunting trip in the wilderness, was in a power outage or a coma, Dick woulds have to respond to the stockings mention.

I know my friends well.

BTW, your coat from Mungers is a historic artifact and you should consider a bequest to the Herkimer County Historical Society. Does it say "Mungers" anywhere on it? Yes, I watch way too much Antiques Roadshow...

BloomingtonGirl said...

Ah, Perk...sadly the coat does not say Mungers on it and if it did, I don't know if I would be strong enough to part with it. I would like to get my hands on the hairnet that the elevator/vacuuming lady wore at Mungers. Now that would be an historical bequest. Do you remember that lady?

Perk said...

Was she the one with the moustache?