Friday, April 06, 2007

BloomingtonGirl is Reforming

Loyal Readers, this is a picture of The Reformer, a piece of equipment based on the Pilates system of working out. It doesn't look like much but it is a powerhouse, believe me.

As you know, your BloomingtonGirl pledged to do something about her squishy middle a few posts back. I knew then and know now, that the best thing I can do is to stop eating so much. But, let's face it...one of my core beliefs is that food is one of the greatest and most sacred pleasures of life. And, I can't just throw away one of my core beliefs now, can I?

Thus, it follows that I have to settle for doing the second best thing to reduce and firm up my flubby and squishy mid-section -- Calorie burning workouts and ab-focused torture sessions. Rather than bore myself doing crunches and sit-ups over and over or delude myself into thinking that I will actually do a home DVD workout more than twice, I went back to Pilates.

Going back to a Pilates Mat class after about nine months of doing no ab work at all was a rather daunting task. I had to overcome my fear of looking like a completely out of shape slob in front of my Pilates classmates. Not that I know any of them...and now that I think of it, is strange but I never know anyone at these classes, and you think that I would because Bloomington tends to be a very small town. Anyway, on Wednesday morning, I went to a Level 1 class (one level up from absolute beginner) and while it was quite humbling, I was pleased with what I was able to do and how I felt afterward. It felt really good to work muscles I had completely forgotten I had. The fact that just about everyone else in the class was close to or over 60 helped as well.

This morning, I decided to try out a new Pilates studio that opened up about three minutes from our house. I showed up for the 9:30 class but was informed that it was cancelled. The instructor there offered to give me a private training session on the Reformer. FOR FREE. Can't beat that, eh?

I readily agreed and spent the next hour learning how to use the Reformer and getting a great workout. This woman was so smart to give me the free lesson because now I am completely hooked on the Reformer. I think that I will try to do one Reformer session a week and do a mat