Sunday, June 17, 2007

Four Pounds Later

Loyal Readers, this will be hard to believe but your BloomingtonGirl has gained four, yes 4, count 'em FOUR whole pounds since Friday. I am not exaggerating. I weighed myself when I got here and again this morning, not even 48 whole hours later. The scale told the sorry tale of a four pound weight gain. And all of a sudden, I feel absolutely huge.

It is ironic, I suppose, that four pounds of (mostly water) weight gain can change my whole self-image, considering that I was just beginning to embrace the new corn-fed Midwestern style me. That would be the but slightly softer, plumper BloomingtonGirl with some sturdy hips. I was starting to feel for the first time in my life (what I assume to be) sane about my body image. Still very fit, but not a slave to diet. Well, not at ALL a slave to diet, if the truth be told. I wouldn't even put the phrase "slave-to-diet" in the same paragraph with my name. It felt weird and a little scary to not be beating myself up for not fitting into my "skinny" clothes anymore. But, it also felt really great to be able to just realize that it isn't comfortable or sustainable for me to be two sizes smaller all the time.

But, since I am technically on vacation, I am going to try not to worry about it.

I did go for a brisk walk in Central Park this morning, so that is at least something. There was a running race that passed by me and even though I didn't know anyone in it, I was almost overcome by a desire to start shouting "GO JIMMY!" at the pack of runners. I have no idea why Jimmy was the name that came to mind. I just really felt like doing it.

You might wonder what I am doing blogging on a beautiful day in the city. Jack couldn't take the heat so I brought him home from an ill fated excursion to the Central Park Zoo. I thought I would use the time to catch up.

More later.

2 comments:

KinderhookChef said...

Don't fret four pounds! I usually gain about that when I go anywhere away from my normal surroundings. As soon as you get back home you lose it within days. I'm sure those sturdy, midwestern, corn-fed hips can handle even a scant four pounds. :-)

Anonymous said...

I guess it wasn't a funny joke to mess with the calibration of the bathroom scale... ;)

Remember Jomama, Happiness weighs more than fat - it's science. It's why I always weigh myself at work...

COME BACK!!!!