Thursday, September 13, 2007

Bloomington Girl Gets Started Too Late

Oh, Loyal Readers! Your BloomingtonGirl is so very tired. It is almost midnight and I am waiting for my pear butter to be done. In an ill-advised manner, I started to make said butter at about 8:45 this evening. I didn't realize that one (among several) step in the process took a full 55 minutes until I was well underway peeling the pears and at that point, it was too late to stop. So, here I am, waiting with great anticipation for the timer to go off. I cannot wait to get myself into bed.

I am making Spiced Pear Butter from a recipe that I found on Epicurious.com. It came out well, but it is just slightly too sweet. This weekend there should still be Pears at the farmer's market so I shall try again, this time with more lemon juice and less sugar. But, still, it is rather tasty. The recipe includes wine, cloves and vanilla bean so how bad could it be? I used a variety of Pear called Honey Sweet and I purchased them from a wonderful fruit seller at the market. When I mentioned that I was going to make Pear Butter, he offered to sell some pears to me at a discount. These were pears that "had gotten a little riper than I would like" he said. So, I bought eight pounds and he charged me a mere five smackers.

Yippee! The timer just went off. I am signing off!

3 comments:

KinderhookChef said...

You never cease to amaze me!!

BloomingtonGirl said...

Pshaw, Kinderhook Chef.

Steph said...

Yummmmy! Do you plan to sell these delicious pear butters?