Tuesday, February 12, 2008

BloomingtonGirl Gets Ready to Make a Skirt

Loyal Readers, I am so excited! A friend of mine has graciously offered to help me make my very own skirt. She is going to make a skirt and I am going to make the same skirt in parallel and in doing so, I shall learn from her. I ordered the fabric at left from purlsoho and it arrived today. It is not a pattern that seems like "me" but I loved the colors and the whimsy of it. I think it will make a funky skirt. Paired with a crisp white shirt and a pair of lovely white sandals, I shall be all ready for the summer. YAHOO!

Well, I suppose the prudent thing to do is not to get too excited until I actually sew something...even if one seam. One seam is more than I have sold since seventh grade in home ec. I sewed a denim "tent" dress and it took me an entire semester. Wish I still had it. It could be held in reserve as part of my fat clothes. I searched on line for the pattern so I could post it here, but the search was in vain. The fashion police probably had it banned. Not a bad thing.

In other news, I am home for the second day with my coughing, sniffling kid. Poor little guy. I think we are going to have to say Uncle! and have his adenoids looked at. Good money says they are HUGE and should be extracted. Ugh.

More later from you BloomingtonGirl.

4 comments:

Steph said...

I can't wait to see it! I've been learning to sew over the past couple of years and have gotten really jazzed by making skirts. They're just so fun to make and wear!

For a while, JoAnn's was carrying these neat circle skirt patterns (preprinted onto fabric). Think 50s full skirt. Alas, I don't think they have them anymore.

I hope you'll model the final product!

BloomingtonGirl said...

Steph,
How did you learn how to sew and did you get your own sewing machine?

Anonymous said...

OH, I've been home with my feverish girl for two days too, and it looks like today won't have been the last one. I was home with an ear infection for every single Valentine's Day party in grade school, and I hope she won't miss hers.... Mary

Steph said...

Hi! I took a class through People's University that got me started. (I don't know if they still offer it.) I do have a sewing machine - a simple one, from Target.