Friday, February 29, 2008

Good Bye Crate and Barrel

...and Garnet Hill, and J. Crew and Pottery Barn and Ross Simon and Williams Sonoma and FrontGate and West Elm and (this one hurts a little) Design Within Reach and, as they used to say at Herkimer High Football Games, a host of other players. There are too many to name each one.

Catalogs. They fill our mailbox every day and most of them go straight to the recycling bin. Even those I used to look at for sport, I no longer open. I rarely order anything from a catalog and I have many other more pressing things to look at, like the HBO series, In Treatment, which I will get to in a minute.

Today, I took a stack of catalogs and one by one, I called the 800 numbers listed on their covers and requested that they take me off of their mailing list. I felt so mighty. My friend Nan did this recently and inspired me. I also joined Greendimes.com, an organization that is supposed to get me off junk mailing lists. I can't tell if it has worked, but the ten bucks joining fee (or maybe it is twenty, I can't remember) is small enough to at least try it. The acid test will be if I order anything from the website of a catalog that I cancelled. Will I get put back on their mailing list? Or if I purchase something at, say, a J. Crew, will I start getting their catalogs again? I am also interested to see whether I will now get catalogs addressed not to me or Chris but to "Current Resident", now that we personally are off the mailing list. If I think of it, I'll keep you posted. I should have a bit more time to write now that I won't be recycling as much.

My related dilemma is whether to continue to subscribe to magazines. I could just read them at the library, I suppose.  But, really, who am I kidding?  I don't get that many magazines anyway.  

In other news, your BloomingtonGirl has been chronically under the weather in one way or another for several weeks now.  I just can't seem to rid myself completely of this respiratory ickiness and today, I really feel awful.  My chest hurts, my throat hurts and even the inside of my mouth is uncomfortable.  I am going to see if I can do some sort of complete detox.  I don't know why, but that seems like it will help.  Of course, it is very easy to do a strict detoxification or even fasting regimen as long as one is doing it in the future.  Lying in bed, planning to do it tomorrow, it is a cinch.  Tomorrow will be a whole different story, believe me.

Okay, last but not least, I need to mention that I have been watching HBO's In Treatment.  I am ambivalent about it but that doesn't keep me from being riveted.  The premise is really interesting - five nights a week, a different patient in therapy every night for four nights and the therapist himself in therapy on the fifth night.  Gabriel Byrne is therapist, Paul Weston, the central character.  Frankly, I would pay to watch him read the phone book.  That said, I find the writing on the series a little over the top and sometimes, not true enough to life.  But, still, I have to keep watching.  

Well, off to read Babbitt.   

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should go get checked for mycoplasma pneumonia ("walking pneumonia"). I've had it twice, and both times it's been like what you describe--not extremely sick, but sore chest, cough, and feeling blah for a month or so before it actually dawns on me that I'm sick.

BloomingtonGirl said...

Dear Anonymous,
Good idea. What did they treat you with ?

Anonymous said...

I don't remember what they treated me with. Some antibiotic. I don't like using antibiotics and hardly ever do, but once in awhile the old body hollers "uncle!" From what I understand, mycoplasma isn't dangerous for most people, so you can choose the route where you take excellent care of yourself and wait a few months to get over it, if you have more endurance than I did. Anyway, I hope you feel better soon, whatever you've got.

Anonymous said...

Who needs good writing when Dr. Weston is the star. Sigh . .
Nan

BloomingtonGirl said...

Well, Anonymous,
You are up quite late worshiping our Paul Weston. I agree that he is dreamy, but I can't agree that his dreaminess makes the mediocre writing okay. Just think of what a difference a cracker JACK writing team like you and me could make to that show?