Tuesday, February 26, 2008

A Pretty Picture and A Post

I can't recall whether I have posted this image before now. It is called "Chorus" and it is an oil painting by an artist whose work I like quite a bit. It is a jumble of hats and I am thinking of buying it for our living room.

Today was a quiet and good day in the life of your BloomingtonGirl. I spent much of the morning putting down my thoughts about the play I wish to write and am somewhat writing. I tried to freely write about what ideas I find most compelling. It always comes back to the idea of marriage - what makes a strong one, what makes one last, what makes one break up...you get the idea. Marriage fascinates me and has ever since I got married. I want to explore this theme in some sort of drama. I just don't know yet how to unfold it all. Perhaps, it will unfold itself if I just allow myself to write freely. Here's hoping.

In other news, Jack had his head x-rayed so we could get a look at his adenoids and boy are they HUGE. We suspected that this would be the case based on his chronic symptoms but it was still a bit stunning to see how big they are. The poor kid barely has any room for air to pass, the adenoids are so large. He saw the ENT guy today and the decision was made to have the swollen masses out. I hope that it cures what has been ailing him. I am sort of freaked out about him having surgery, no matter how minor, but I'll deal with it.

In other other news, I swam a mile earlier today and it felt quite wonderful. I have been swimming very little this winter for a bunch of lousy reasons. I am going to try to get into the pool at least two times a week for a mile swim. I always feel so mighty afterward. Well, after I get back into my street clothes, that is. I have to admit that I am quite negative about my swimsuit body these days. I need to change that attitude. What's the point? Life is too short to worry about a little extra fat on an otherwise healthy body. There are real problems in the world and frankly, blubber around the mid-section does not rate as one.

I am off to practice my Minuet 1 and read Babbitt and maybe do some writing. I wish I had something more interesting to write but that's the way it goes. Even so, I am going to force myself to post every night for awhile to get back into the swing of things. If it is too boring for my Loyal Ones, you'll just have to find another blog to read. I must find my voice again. Otherwise, I might end up having a mid-life crisis and buying an inappropriate car.

2 comments:

perk said...

Neat painting and I'm glad to hear about the writing. I think marriage as subject matter is very rich and ripe for mining or excavating or extracting....enjoy the process of it all.

Anonymous said...

lovely painting.

yes, i agree, marriage is a great subject for drama. i'm reading carol shields' bio of jane austen right now and shields talks about how the important story is always about relationships -- every type of story comes back to that.

i was reminded of the opening line of a book i read years ago, eureka street: "all stories are love stories."

oh no, my one year old is banging on the telly, beating bear in the big blue house...

rachael