Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Go Colts?

It is a shame, Loyal Readers, that it is not football season. (It isn't, right?) I would be able to root for the Colts in high style.

Underneath this large and colorful bandage is a thumb with a little piece missing at its end. This morning, I was (what else?) making sauerkraut (Russian Soured Cabbage specifically). I guess in the spirit of the recipe, I was "rushin'" when using the antique contraption my parents dug out of their garage (at my request) to shred the cabbage. My safety conscious husband warned me the other day that I might cut my finger when I was making (another!) batch of our beloved kraut. I was just happy he wasn't here to say something insightful such as "Why did you do that?" or "Were you being careful?" or the dreaded, "I told you this was going to happen." I didn't even call him at work to tell him about it because I didn't want to hear it.

Even though I was wounded, I finished making the kraut. I asked myself, What Would My Mother or My Mother-In-Law Do in, wrapped my bleeding hand up and drove to the doc in a box to get bandaged up properly and to get a Tetanus shot. I considered posting pictures of the piece of my thumb that is no longer attached to me, but thought it would be in bad taste. And, lately, taste is what I am all about, no?

Below are a few pictures to go along with this post. First, is the Russian Soured Cabbage in the crock just before adding in the brine. Isn't it lovely? Second, is a picture of the dreaded cabbage cutting contraption. What you can't see in the picture is that there are three separate blades on the thing. The third picture is simply dessert. A delicious picture of my delicious little guy.






No comments: