Saturday, July 05, 2008

Sparklers & More Pickles



Happy July 5th, Loyal Ones. I thought I would post a couple of pictures of Jack enjoying some sparklers on our patio yesterday evening. It gets dark here so late, that we didn't bother to wait for it. Sparklers nowadays are pretty cheap, if you don't mind me saying. I remember them as burning for much longer and being much brighter and just plain better than the ones that Jack had last night. He didn't seem to mind, though. Plus, since we bought them yesterday they were something like "Buy One Get Ten Free!" so we had a ton of them. The smell of them is the same, though. Brings me right back to Pig Tail Alley in Herkimer, NY. Yep, that's what the locals called the street on which I grew up.

In other exciting news, I started a new batch of what promise to be, if nothing else, interesting pickles. They are called "Robert's Tea Pickles". I have no idea who Robert is, but apparently he likes the taste of smoky tea in his pickles. Here is a picture of them (along with my still STUNNING Hydrangea stems and the half-sours that are on day six of their own fermentation.



The tea used in the pickle brine is Lapsang Souchong. I had heard of it but had never tasted or smelled it. It smells like a smoke house, one that I don't feel much like drinking in a tea.

I'll keep you posted on my progress because I know my Loyal Readers want to be IN THE KNOW.

4 comments:

Steph said...

Oh, please please tell us how these turn out! The L-S tea has a loyal following....either of love or hate. Personally, I can't drink it, but imagine it might be better in this use. Those who love this tea are life-long followers. :-)

I tried that blueberry pie recipe you sent to me. It's great! You can see a photo/summary on my blog. Cheers!

BloomingtonGirl said...

I thought you might be interested in the tea pickles, Steph. I can't imagine drinking the stuff, but I think that it will add an interesting flavor to the pickles. So far, they look okay. I will be sure and post my results.

Sus said...

I agree, sparklers ain't what they used to be. :) Found you through Beth A. whose house I just left for a play date. Was looking for your awesome banana bread recipe (which she served) but couldn't find it. Am I missing it? Anyway, good to cyberly meet you. :)

BloomingtonGirl said...

Welcome, Sus!
I tried to find the banana bread recipe you mention on my recipe blog, but I couldn't find it either. I think you are talking about a sour cream fresh banana cake that can be made into a bread shape. I'll post the recipe later tonight on my recipe blog.
Beth is such a good baker!