Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Jack on Heaven and Other Things


Jack's Vision of Heaven.

The other day, Jack was talking about Heaven.

I said, "So, you believe in Heaven, eh?"

And he said, "Of course. It is where you go when you die."

I said, "Will you be Jack McGary walking around there?"

He said, "Well, no. But my spirit will be there."

He paused a moment and reflected. Then he said wistfully, "I hope I can still fart in Heaven."

There you have it. The priorities of an eight year old boy. I believe that passing gas might just be one of his greatest joys.

Other Things:

I know my Loyal Readers have expected a spate of venom to be issued forth from the ranting pen of your BloomingtonGirl about a certain event that I can characterize as the worst of all US sponsored disasters to befall this world since we invaded Iraq. You will not be surprised to know that I am having none of this absurd nonsense dressed up as appropriate politics as usual. But, I won't be writing about it at this point because I truly do not have anything to add to the already brilliant material that is surfacing all over the news and Internet. I feel it necessary, however, to provide a link to the most disturbing of all of the material (besides the simple and deeply true commentary that no matter what this person's views, she is entirely ill equipped to run this country at this point in her career. I don't believe the woman has ever left the country - well, maybe she has been to Canada.) I thank my friend Dotty for bringing this to my attention.

The Third Wave

Why is it that the main stream so called liberal media ignores this when they were all too happy to pile on Obama for his association with a minister who was out of step (okay, in a big way at the end) with reasonable blacks and whites is a tribute to the skill of the RNC. They are amazing. If I ever had to spin something, I would hire them right away.

I will add that if you find the whole thing as disturbing as I do, there are just three things to do.

1. Write a check to the Obama/Biden campaign.
2. Vote for Obama in November and urge everyone you know to do the same.
3. Watch the clips from the Daily Show on the RNC. They are so hilarious that they really do ease the pain of it all.

Here is one that just sums up all the double talk and cracks me up:

The Sarah Palin Gender Card



Enough said about Sarah.

In other news, I have been keeping very busy taking piano lessons and practicing quite a bit. It is very humbling to work so hard at something and not get all that much better. I am also taking a Playwriting course at IU for credit. More on that later. I am off to watch The Daily Show.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"She is ill equipped to run this country" And Obama Is? Lord save us all!!!

BloomingtonGirl said...

Okay Anonymous,

Here's my take. Is Obama the best candidate that the democrats could have put up? In terms of experience, no I don't believe that he is. Frankly, I think that Hillary Clinton actually was the best the democrats had to offer this time around and for many reasons, I didn't completely support her either. (Better yet, it should have been Joe Biden)

But, having said that, we must compare Obama and Palin head on. Given McCain's age and the historical fact that almost 20% of this country's VPs have been bumped to the top seat due to death, illness or resignation, we must.

Obama, in comparison to Palin, is educated, wordly and has been preparing for public service on this level all his adult life. He has a degree in Political Science from Columbia and graduated magna cum laude from Harvard Law. He has an international background, which, I believe will help our country be a better citizen - and a less hated citizen- in this world. And, he's a senator and knows his way around Washington politics. To those fearful white people who may not admit that they won't vote for him because he is black and (in the words of someone I know) will "stick up for them", I say that is nonsense. I believe he will hold the African American community to a higher standard and provide the kind of leadership that might help them out of the morass that they are in. And this will elevate us all in turn. He is polished and well spoken and would not embarrass this nation on the international stage the way that Bush has and Palin and her uneducated first dude certainly would.

Palin, on the other hand, has not (to my knowledge) traveled outside of this country ever - okay maybe Canada - has a weak education and has had the whole of her governmnent career in a second tier state with a population less than a million people. And, to touch on a touchy subject here, let's just look at one of her domestic policies. Teaching abstinence only. Huh. Didn't work in her own home. What does that say about it? And, beyond that, it was unforgivable to have a 17 year old unwed pregant girl paraded on the national stage as a message to our young women that if they do the same, it will all work out okay. Believe me, if it were Obama's black daughter on that stage knocked up at 17, there would have been rioting in the streets in protest. But, I digress a bit.

Let's put it in a different context:

Suppose you had all of your money invested in one company, say, IBM, and you also relied on that company to give you a job and provide security and health care for you. Would you support electing a CEO, whose total experience was running a copy store franchise, to run the company on which your welfare and the welfare of your family depended on? So, why would you risk having someone run this country who has so little experience and knowledge of the world to run our nation?

Respectfully yours,
BG

Tutu Girlfriend said...

Very well said BG. We have to change directions or we stand to loose everything. I fear our fair country is in major peril if we continue on this path...we are imploding. I am looking forward to the debates.