Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Bounty & Other Things on my Mind

Greetings, Loyal Readers. It is Wednesday at about 5PM. Jack has some art project going at the kitchen table and is humming away - he loves to hum - and I am simmering ten pounds of tomatoes on the stove. Here they were before they got thrown in the pot. The tomatoes are going full force and I have to say that I don't mind a bit. They are spectacular this year. Tomatoes, like peaches, are made so special by the fact that they only taste really good in season. I am sure that there are other fruits and vegetables in that category but those are the two that come to mind. With the current food production and distribution system, we are accustomed to having whatever we want at any time of year. I like that with tomatoes, you can only get good ones in the summer. Some things shouldn't be available all the time. Many things, in fact. Like the Charlie Brown Christmas Special and How the Grinch Stole Christmas. Remember how special they were before the VCR and the DVD? Ain't the same no more, people.

I've spent much of my week so far doing theatre stuff. I did some office work for Cardinal Stage and also had lunch with the Managing Director/Interim Artistic Director of the Bloomington Playwrights Project, (BPP) where I have recently been invited to join their Ensemble of Artists (!). How lucky am I to live in a town where there is so many resources for an aspiring playwright? The BPP is putting up a selection of plays from the past several years of their Sex/Death Showcases and mine was one of the ones they chose. You can see my play 100% Distracted at the Indianapolis Fringe Festival next weekend and the weekend following and mine is one of the plays they chose to produce. Here's the link to the schedule for my show: Sex/Death at the Indy Fringe. Go, Loyal Readers, Go and shout Author! Author! at the end of it. My play leads off the line up.

In other news, I've posted a new recipe to my recipe blog, Really Great Recipes. It is for a delicious cobbler that isn't even that bad for you.

Tomorrow, you will be glad to know that I plan on doing hours of actual playwriting. Stay tuned.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am so jealous of your tomatoes!
That actually sounds weird...
FOK