Sunday, August 09, 2009

I'm Back, Loyal Readers

Loyal Readers, this is a recent picture of me and Chris in midtown Manhattan on our last visit there. It has been a long time since I've written and as you can see, we've aged quite a bit. We're wealthy and well dressed, though, so it isn't terrible. We look a little put out because we were having a very difficult time hailing a cab.

I know you have all been wondering - every day most likely - where your beloved BloomingtonGirl has been. I'll keep you in the dark no further: I have been busy becoming a celebrated and famous playwright.

Obviously, I have not completed that endeavor as of this writing. But still, one can dream.

It occurred to me to post a synopsis of all that has happened in my life since last December, but that wouldn't be fun to write or all that interesting. Suffice it to say that we are all happy and healthy and the garden is in full swing again this year. Greens are this year's feature vegetable; peppers were last year's, you may recall. Kale, Mustard Greens, Beet Greens, Swiss Chard, Rainbow Chard, Collard Greens. I fear I may die of a vitamin K overdose. Anyone know the symptoms? If the symptoms include blemishes on one's chin, the kind that are relentless and coincide with the unfortunate formation of more and more wrinkles and tiny spider veins, I might indeed be in danger.

In this time when I've not been blogging, I've been busy with many important endeavors. Namely, losing and gaining the same five pounds, fretting about my complexion, trying to invent a quick way to pick up a thousand Pokemon cards from the floor, trying not to succumb to the siren call of Botox...etc.

But mostly what I've been doing is spending my writing time writing plays. I decided to commit myself seriously to the craft over the past year and I have to say that it has been deeply enjoyable and somewhat fruitful. I had two short short plays produced at the Bloomington Playwright's Project (where I was recently invited to be in their Ensemble of Artists (!).) One of those two plays will be performed at this year's Indianapolis Theatre Fringe Festival. Specifics on the showcase with my play 100% Distracted can be found here. This festival will make me officially a professional playwright. I am getting paid $20 for it. That's right, you read that correctly. Twenty Smackers. And, I'm not gonna lie, Loyal Readers. Those twenty smackers are more satisfying than my largest bonus from my pre-kid career. Of course, it would be entirely different if I had to make a living doing this. Then, it might not be quite as satisfying.

I was incredibly fortunate this summer to get into two amazing writing conferences. I attended The Sewanee Writers' Conference in July and the Stony Brook Southampton Playwriting Conference right after that one. I worked on my play Over The Moon at both and am not in the process of both finishing it and rewriting the portions that are already done. It is a comedy about an upper class, waspy middle aged woman, a classical cellist, falling for a twenty-one year old white Jewish kid who is a famous rapper named "Big Black Cock Daddy". It is, as you can tell, a comedy. At least, I hope it is funny. I've had a great time writing it. More on that in a future post.

I know that this is a relatively insipid first post back, but I am just home from all my travels and can't think of anything funny to report. Plus, I need to go and reapply my acne medication before the zit on my chin takes over my entire head.

Stay tuned if you want to hear about that and other compelling stories from your BloomingtonGirl's Daily Existence.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yea! You're back!

Steph said...

Glad that you've found a new passion! Enjoy and I hope to see more of your work.