Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Play Notes

Good Evening, Loyal Readers. Please forgive your BloomingtonGirl for being so quiet these days. She has been very very busy with playwriting. I've finished my first full length script entitled Over the Moon and have been submitting it to every workshop I can find. In about two months, I should start getting crushed by rejection letters. But no matter. I've already begun incubating my new work, working titled Skin Deep in the End Days. It is about a dysfunctional family coming apart at the seams. I figured I would write about something new. Something nobody has written about before. As part of my research, a local physician has agreed to let me watch her inject herself with Botox. The mother in my script will do that very thing and I want it to be authentic. Plus, maybe I can get my husband to write me a different kind of script for Botox and I'll need to know how to do it to myself. Just kidding about the latter thing. ("It's a poison!" my scientist daughter never tires of pointing out.)

In other playwriting news, I have won a spot in the Vortex Theatre's "Womensworx at the Votex" festival that will take place this January in Albuquerque, NM. I was one of eight playwrights selected in a national contest to have a play fully staged for a four week run. The play is a ten minute piece entitled Dance Lessons for Catherine. I'm pretty excited to say the least.

It amazes me that after about a year and a half of being at this, I have three full productions of short plays under my belt and two more coming up in January. One is going to be here in Bloomington in January. It is a benefit show called Practice Makes Perfect: A Diva's Guide to Life. More on that as it gets closer.

I cannot believe my good fortune. Seriously. I cannot believe it just about every day. I get to do what I love to do almost each and every day. I never forget how lucky I am.

I started this post intending to write about marriage and how incredibly fortunate I am in that area of my life, but somehow, I couldn't find the right words without sounding all cliche and smarmy. I'll say briefly for the record, though, that my husband is the finest man I know. Every day, lately, something happens that illuminates that more and more for me. Today was really that way. I had a very unfortunate situation that broke my little heart and my man said all the right things and all the smartest things. I'm keeping him. For ever.

Nighty Night.







1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hurrah for Joni and Dance Lessons for Catherine! It's wonderful to be married to the finest man you know. You are on a roll, girl! MKP