Thursday, April 29, 2010

Something jack Said

So, the other day, Loyal Readers, your BloomingtonGirl was talking to her son about going into fourth grade next year. The school year is winding down (his school gets out on May 20!!) and he is visiting the age 9-12 class next week, which is sort of a big deal for him. (He goes to a mixed age classroom Montessori School.) I asked him how he felt and kidding him, asked if he felt old.
He replied:

"I don't really feel old, but going into fourth grade, I feel closer to dying."

I was a little alarmed by my nine year old expressing such a sentiment. I asked him to explain.

"Well, first I'm in fourth grade, then high school, then my driver's license. Then, I'm forty, then, I'm ninety. I probably won't make it that long ..."

He wasn't morbid or upset, but simply stating the facts as he saw them. It was something to hear a kid that young talk about life this way.

I remember that right after I got married, I felt the same way - closer to dying. (Not because I was unhappy with my choice, but because it was such a huge milestone and I was older when I did it.) Somehow, having passed the marriage milestone made me realize how mortal I was. I know I am not doing a good job explaining this, but believe me, it was very real. And still, almost thirteen years later, I lie in bed each night, drifting off to sleep, and the thought crosses my mind that this life is finite.

But, for Jack at age 9 to think these thoughts? Wow. Is this a harbinger of his development into an angst ridden artistic type? Stay tuned.

No comments: