Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Random Things on a Tuesday Night

Isn't this a cool bike, Loyal Readers? It was made by a company called Independent Fabrication. I don't recall how I stumbled across their site, since I am not in the market for the class of cycles they make and sell. But, the site is full of interesting bikes and the back story of the company and the bios of their people make me want to move to where they are and work for them just to be as cool as they seem to be. Yes, Loyal Readers, Your BloomingtonGirl has not outgrown wanting to be cool. One would think, however, that she would have realized by now that the quest was rather in vain.

I'm off to bed to snug in and read The Corrections by Jonathan Franzen. His insight into people and the American family is stunning and rather disturbing. I wish I could write as he does. I'd settle for a quarter as well, actually.


2 comments:

Paul said...

There, indeed, is the problem when one crosses the DMZ from being a reader to being (or aspiring to be) a writer. You dont have to aspire to be a reader, you just are - from cereal boxes to War and Peace. You might wish you could read faster, or develop a photographic memory of what you read, but it doesnt stop you from picking up a book.
Aspiring to write - and share it with any kind of audience - can invite fear and loathing even in the most well defended. Just about a twenty times a day, I'll read a snippet another writer has penned and say to self "Jaysus, I wish I could write like that..." and decide that my level of writing is about as evolved as pond algae. On good days, I'll remind myself that pond algae actually has some value to the pond...I dont know precisely what that is but comfort myself by thinking that no self respecting pond can survive without just a wee bit of algae.
Hey! If it werent for us, those really good writers wouldnt have anyone to whom they could compare themselves so glowingly.

BloomingtonGirl said...

This is why I adore you, Paul.